Monday 15 November 2010

YCN: Sega - Day One

Okay so, the best way to start a brief. We both sat down and cranked out a few design sheets to set the ball rolling.  We settled pretty quickly on the idea of making a tournament pack, a 20th anniversary edition of the original game to celebrate the date. It was an idea that we stumbled across when we first talked about doing the brief and the idea definitely stuck.


Because our audience is classic Sonic fans, aged between 18 and 44 we wanted to use original graphics and somehow link the box to the 16bit bright colours and pixellations of the original game. Both Will and I played the original game, granted I wasn't old enough to play it when it came out, but still.




We came up with the idea of creating the box in a way that would make no one want to throw it away. People generally don't throw away collector's edition packaging but we wanted to make it extra special. We decided to try and create a pop up level of Sonic in the lid of the box that would be used as a display piece.


Will started to put the logo together while I was put in charge of making mock ups of the box, as out of the two of us the crafting was more my expertise.





These are some of the original mocks up that I made of the box, wanting to make something that would fit together quite snugly and fit together perfectly. I had to take into account the thickness of the material that I was making to make sure that everything fit together just right.


I made a mock up of the box, just to test sizing, out of paper and mountboard. The box is made out of two boxes, while the top level opens to reveal a pop up, it can then be lifted out like a tray in a jewellery box to reveal the rst of the box, where all of the parts of the pack would be kept.




I printed out some high-res images of a Sonic, just in black and white for mock up tests, cut them out and glued them onto card to make them a little bit stronger. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to make them stand up yet, I mean what material I'm going to use, but I'll get to that later.


No comments:

Post a Comment