Friday 26 November 2010

Sid Smith identity




I made a simple vector of a shovel in Illustrator and made a pattern out of it. I want to go for what I did in my design sheets and make a pattern to be consistent across the back of all material within the range including business card, letterhead, compliments slip, etc.


The pointed shovel wasn't really working for me so I went and made another, this time with a squarer...spade bit, and that one worked much better for me so I made a couple of different patterns with it try and find one that I liked well enough and decided on one where all the shovels face the same direction but are staggered so they make a more interesting pattern.

These are a few variations of layout I came up with while designing the business card. The logo was created through this as well, by using the shovel shape as a line break to create a link between the layout at the pattern on the back of everything. I played around with black at first but in the end I settled for more of a 95% black rather than solid black because I much prefer grey to black, and despite it being only a very slight different, I much prefer that it's 'off-black'.


I don't know why the spacing went a little weird here but when you view the image bigger you can see the different patterns and colour combination that I tried when it came to the back. I wanted the shovel pattern to only be very subtle and I ended up going for 95% black pattern on a 97% black background. It's very subtle but the difference is enough to be viewed.


Open publication - Free publishing - More identity


Here are the designs for each piece of the identity by themselves so that the detail can be seen for each one.







No comments:

Post a Comment